Year End Tax Form Information
Review the sample W-2 Wage and Tax Statement for an explanation of each box.
Payments for training grant recipients, pre-doctoral fellows, and postdoctoral scholars are not reported on a Form W-2. You may review 2021 Publication 970 (irs.gov) for more taxation information for these payments.
If you are looking to obtain copies of any other year end forms (1095-C, 1099, or 1098-T), please see our announcement for more information.
If you are an international employee using Sprintax to file your taxes and you receive a notification suggesting that your Form W-2 is not correct because Boxes 3 & 5 and/or 17 & 19 are blank: your Form W-2 is correct. Please review your pay statements in Pitt Worx along with the taxation information under select your role on the payroll website prior to submitting an inquiry.
Please review our recent announcements linked below and the Frequently Asked Questions section for additional information:
New for Form W-2 in 2021
- 2021 Form W-2 documents are not accessible using a mobile device. You will need to access your document using a desktop computer.
- Foreign national employees who had a temporary SSN on file when the Forms W-2 were released are not able to view their 2021 Forms W-2 electronically.
- Any employees that have an SSN update after the Forms W-2 were released are not able to access their 2021 Forms W-2 electronically.
- SSN is redacted, as approved by the IRS for 2021.
- You may have received 2 separate Form W2s. Your Employee Reference Copy is a W2 Summary and will list the total tax deducted Please be sure to use your “City or Local reference Copy” for local taxes. Box 20 Locality Name will list work location as the PSD Code. The PSD code listed will be where you worked, not where you lived in 2021. We use tax agencies such as Jordan and Berkheimer, who will then disburse your local taxes to the locality(s) indicated on an your final 2021 pay slip.
- Box 20 Locality Name will list work location as the PSD Code. This is where the University submits the local taxes withheld. This is correct as Box 20 Locality Name will list work location as the PSD Code. Tax agencies, such as Jordan, Berkheimer, etc., will then disburse to the locality(s) indicated on an employee’s final year end pay slip. We do not disburse local taxes directly to your locality.
- Corrected W2s are not issued for address changes.
- Post-Doctoral Scholars may receive a W2 with no wages or taxes. The only information indicated is in Box 14 with DD code. This is correct as only the information listed Box 14 DD is W2 reportable. Payments as Post-Doctoral Scholar are not W2 reportable. You may view 2021 Publication 970 (irs.gov) for more information.
- Code DD amounts are for informational purposes only-they don’t affect the numbers in your tax return.
2021 Form W-2 access
You are now able to opt in to receive a copy of your 2021 Form W-2 electronically by following these instructions:
- Current employees may opt in through my.pitt.edu > Pitt Worx > Me > Form W2 Information and view their W2
- Once you are inactive or terminated employees, you MUST create a separate ADP account and may opt in to view their electronic W-2 at any time.
Prior 2020 Form W-2 access
You can access your Form 2020 W-2 electronically through this secure link: https://w2download.pitt.edu
- Current employees will be given access through protected Single Sign On (Pitt Passport).
- Terminated employees require personal identification information to access.
If you get locked out, you may submit an inquiry at OHR Shared Services and select Payroll > Form W-2/1042-S Duplicate Copy. Subject: Locked W-2 Account
Prior 2019 Form W-2 Access
You may submit an inquiry at OHR Shared Services and select Payroll > Form W-2/1042-S Duplicate Copy. Subject: Duplicate 2019 Form W-2
Duplicate Forms W-2
The Payroll department provides duplicate Form W-2 documents for up to three years back. Employees can obtain duplicate copies of their 2020 and 2021 Form W-2 documents electronically. To obtain a duplicate copy of your 2019 Form W-2, please submit an inquiry for assistance. Please allow three business days for your request to be filled. Hard copy duplicate 2019 Form W-2 documents must be mailed to the address listed in the Payroll system. Please allow 7 days for delivery. If your address has changed, you are required to update your address in Pitt Worx prior to submitting a request.
You can visit the IRS website if you want to obtain prior year end information for years before 2019.
Form W-2 Box Information
The IRS requires employers to report wage and salary information for employees on Form W-2. Your Form W-2 also reports the amount of federal, state and other taxes withheld from your paycheck. As an employee, the information on your Form W-2 is very important when preparing your tax return.
Explanation of Boxes 1-17
The first 17 boxes on the Form W-2 cover wages, other compensation, federal and state taxes, retirement contributions and more. View the sample W-2 Wage and Tax Statement for an explanation of each box.
Explanation of Boxes 18, 19 20
Each locality is not uniquely identified on the Form W-2. Employees will not see a municipality name in box 20. All Form W-2 will have the number “70” in box 20 (Locality name). The identifier “70” relates to Jordan Tax Service which is the Tax Collection Officer for the University of Pittsburgh.
If you lived in one municipality for all 2021, municipal wage and school district taxes will appear as a combined number.
If you lived or worked in multiple municipalities in 2021, each municipality change will create a separate line on the Form W-2.
The locality name and local tax withheld is identified on your pay statement. Employees can match the amount of tax shown on the final pay statement of the year to the information on the Form W-2 (adding together the information for city and school district withholding).
For information on filing your local taxes, or on PA Act 32, please visit Jordan Tax Services website.
Explanation of Box 12DD
The reporting in Box 12, using Code DD, of the cost of employer-sponsored health coverage is for your information only. The amount reported with Code DD is not taxable. This amount represents the total of the employee and employer contributions to your medical plan. The Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (PPACA) requires that employers disclose the aggregate value of employer-sponsored health coverage to each employee on Form W-2, Box 12DD. Excluded from the reporting requirements are HAS’s, FSAs, Long term care and vision and dental plans.
Additional information on the reporting requirements of healthcare can be found on the IRS website.
Frequently Asked Questions
Visit the Employee Self-Service page for FAQs.
- City of Pittsburgh Employer Wage Tax
- Jordan Tax Services
- Employer-Provided Health Coverage Informational Reporting Requirements: Questions and Answers
- IRS Website
- University of Pittsburgh’s Human Resources
- IRS Withholding Calculator