My Pay

Graduate Students with Academic Appointments 0

Teaching Assistants, Teaching Fellows, Graduate Student Assistants and Graduate Student Researchers at Pitt are paid monthly via direct deposit on the last working day of the month.

2024 Monthly Pay Schedule

To ensure an accurate pay, all University of Pittsburgh Faculty, Staff, and Students are responsible for:

  • Providing all information required to issue accurate payments, e.g., current address, direct deposit information, tax forms, etc.
  • Reviewing your payslips and reporting any errors to your departmental Personnel Administrator or the Payroll Department in a timely manner.

The University of Pittsburgh offers Self-Service for securely viewing your payslips and making changes to your address, direct deposit, and Form W-4.

Overview of Pay Statement

Viewing Your Pay Statement

Your current payslip will be available online on your scheduled pay date. Learn how to view your current and prior pay statements by viewing the Self-Service page.


  • Salary: This is your monthly base salary.
  • Retro Salary: Salary due from a prior pay period

Tax Information

US tax information can be found under the US Tax Information page as well as two charts summarizing the taxation of the different academic appointments (Graduate Student Assistant, Graduate Student Researcher, Teaching Assistant, and Teaching Fellow).
Taxation for Foreign Nationals can be found under the Global Payroll pages.

Taxable Fringe Benefits

Imputed Income General

If a student receives an award or prize in connection with services rendered to the University, the value of the award is considered wages and reported through Payroll. Awards given to students in connection with academic activities are paid through Payment Processing.


Deductions for graduate students with academic appointments are scheduled each month.  Please reach out to the appropriate voluntary deduction contact with any questions regarding your voluntary deductions.

Pre-Tax Deductions

Your benefit and retirement deductions are administered by the Benefits Department in Human Resources.

After Tax Deductions

Deductions listed in this section do not reduce your taxable earnings.

Involuntary After Tax Deductions

Deductions from your pay may be mandated by a court order.  The University complies with the direction of the court for designated amounts. Deductions may be specified in detail by the court or may be based on an individual’s disposable income after other deductions. Generally, the levies remain in effect until the court or other organization indicates that the amount due has been paid in full. The University only accepts changes or suspensions of these deductions from the entity issuing the garnishment. Federal Work Study Students are exempt from any type of wage garnishment due to the federal award they are receiving.

Involuntary Deductions may include:

  • Domestic relations orders: Child Support Orders
  • Tax levies (federal, state or local)
  • Bankruptcy orders
  • Garnishments for educational loans, including the Pennsylvania Higher Education Assistance Agency (“PHEAA”)

Voluntary After Tax Deduction

All voluntary deductions must be authorized by you. Please reach out to the appropriate voluntary deduction contact with any questions regarding your voluntary deductions.

University Contributions

This section of your pay statement lists contributions that the University pays on your behalf as part of your benefit package. The contributions are excluded from your income.

University Paid Contributions may include:

  • SS: University’s Employer 6.2% portion of your Social Security Tax Contribution
  • Medicare: University’s Employer 1.45% portion of your Medicare Tax Contribution

Students exempt from Social Security and Medicare do not receive the employer match.

When is the money credited to an account when an individual authorizes direct deposit?

Payroll deposits are made no later than the actual pay date.

Is it possible to credit part of a paycheck to a savings account and part to a checking account?

No, direct deposits must be made entirely to either a checking account or a savings account.

If I transfer to another Department within the University do I need to complete a new Direct Deposit Form?

No, direct deposit will not change as long as you are in “Active” status.

What action should I take if I lose my paycheck?

Notify your supervisor and the Payroll Department immediately. The Payroll Department will submit a “Stop Payment” to the bank. Payroll will reissue the check after receiving the confirming stop payment notice from the bank.
If you recover the lost check after notifying the Payroll Department but before receiving a new check, do not try to cash or deposit the check. The bank will reject a check with a stop payment order. Return the check to the Payroll Department, and a replacement will be issued.

Is it possible to obtain a salary advance or an early release of my paycheck?

Requests for payroll advance and/or early release of paychecks prior to the normal payday will not be approved under any circumstances. If an individual is away during the normal pay date, arrangements should be made with the department administrator to forward or deposit the check.