My Pay

Student Employee 0

Student employees, including federal work study students, are paid biweekly via direct deposit.

2022 Biweekly Pay Schedule

Students must submit weekly timecards through Pitt Worx. Review the appropriate reference guide on submitting a time card in Pitt Worx.

To ensure an accurate pay, all University of Pittsburgh Faculty, Staff, and Students are responsible for:

  • Providing all information required to issue accurate payments, e.g., current address, direct deposit information, tax forms, etc.
  • Reviewing your pay statements and reporting any errors to your departmental Personnel Administrator or the Payroll Department in a timely manner.

The University of Pittsburgh offers Employee Self-Service through Pitt Worx for securely viewing your payslips and making changes to your address, direct deposit, and IRS form W-4.

Overview of Pay Statement

Viewing Your Pay Statement

Your current payslip will be available online on your scheduled pay date. Learn how to view your current and prior pay statements by visiting the Employee Self-Service page.


  • Time Entry Wages: This is your submitted hours and wages for the pay period. Students may work 20 hours per week for the Fall and Spring Terms. Additional hours may be worked over breaks and during the Summer Term. Overtime is not permitted.
  • FWS Wages: If you are receiving Federal Work Study, this is your submitted hours and wages for the pay period. Students may work 20 hours per week for the Fall and Spring Terms. Additional hours may be worked over breaks and during the Summer Term. Overtime is not permitted.
  • Retro FWS Wages: Federal Work Study hours due from a prior pay period.
  • Retro Time Entry Wage: Hours due from a prior pay period.

Tax Information

US tax information can be found under the US Tax Information page.
Taxation for Foreign Nationals can be found under the Global Payroll pages.

Taxable Fringe Benefits

Imputed Income General

If a student receives an award or prize in connection with services rendered to the University, the value of the award is considered wages and reported through Payroll. Awards given to students in connection with academic activities are paid through Payment Processing.

Pre-Tax Deductions

Your benefit and retirement deductions are administered by the Benefits Department in Human Resources.

After Tax Deductions

Deductions listed in this section do not reduce your taxable earnings.

Involuntary After Tax Deductions

Deductions from your pay may be mandated by a court order.  The University complies with the direction of the court for designated amounts. Deductions may be specified in detail by the court or may be based on employee disposable income after other deductions. Generally, the levies remain in effect until the court or other organization indicates that the amount due has been paid in full. The University only accepts changes or suspensions of these deductions from the entity issuing the garnishment.

Involuntary Deductions may include:

  • Domestic relations orders: Child Support Orders
  • Tax levies (federal, state or local)
  • Bankruptcy orders
  • Garnishments for educational loans, including the Pennsylvania Higher Education Assistance Agency (“PHEAA”)

Federal Work Study Students are exempt from any type of wage garnishment due to the federal award they are receiving

Voluntary After Tax Deduction

Common Voluntary deductions include:

  • Credit union contributions: Contact the Greater Pittsburgh Credit Union at 412-621-6800

All voluntary deductions must be authorized by you.

University Contributions

This section of your pay statement lists contributions that the University pays on your behalf as part of your benefit package. The contributions are excluded from your income.

University Paid Contributions may include:

  • SS: University’s Employer 6.2% portion of your Social Security Tax Contribution
  • Medicare: University’s Employer 1.45% portion of your Medicare Tax Contribution
When is the money credited to an account when an employee authorizes direct deposit?

Payroll deposits are made no later than the actual pay date.

Is it possible to credit part of a paycheck to a savings account and part to a checking account?

No, direct deposits must be made entirely to either a checking account or a savings account.

If I transfer to another Department within the University do I need to complete a new Direct Deposit Form?

No, direct deposit will not change as long as you are in “Active” status.

What action should I take if I lose my paycheck?

Notify your supervisor and the Payroll Department immediately. The Payroll Department will submit a “Stop Payment” to the bank. Payroll will reissue the check after receiving the confirming stop payment notice from the bank.
If you recover the lost check after notifying the Payroll Department but before receiving a new check, do not try to cash or deposit the check. The bank will reject a check with a stop payment order. Return the check to the Payroll Department, and a replacement will be issued.

Is it possible to obtain a salary advance or an early release of my paycheck?

Requests for payroll advance and/or early release of paychecks prior to the normal payday will not be approved under any circumstances. If an employee is away during the normal pay date, arrangements should be made with the department administrator to forward or deposit the check.